Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Other Athens Notes

Okay, I (Jacob) did the last couple posts without Kelly sitting over my shoulder, so of course I forgot a couple of funny stories that we meant to relate. They include...

* The hotel that we were staying at was relatively uncrowded, given the season. But there was a nice French couple staying there, and we kept bumping into them in the kitchen at dinner time. The first night, they were talking about the great yogurt in Greece, and we excitedly told them about how much cheaper our favorite Greek yogurt (Fage 0%) was there than at home. Kelly pulled it out of the fridge, and the Frenchwoman leaped out of her chair and pointed at it and shouted--and I am not making this up--THAT IS DISGUSTING! She was really upset that we would eat fat-free yogurt. We were starting to feel a little bit down about our tastes, until we saw them happily swigging Nescafe, this nasty instant coffee that we have been haunted by all trip.

* On the way back from the market, I was run into by a half of a dead pig.

* In Greece, Halloween falls in early March. All of the stores are closed for days. Weird.

We did get to see the Parthenon, etc. And since it opened on a Sunday--free day--we saved 24 euros!

No comments: